Saturday, January 26, 2008

Polar Bear 5K


I ran in a 5K this morning! It was really a lot of fun. Myself and four friends met a little before 7am and drove about 40 min to Marietta to run. I know it sounds crazy but there's just something about a race. We did get a really nice shirt out of it as well. It was freezing cold and I was grateful to get started, but I'm not sure I really warmed up until my sprint to the finish line. I know this is sad to say and I don't mean to offend any of my older readers, but my best motivation throughout the entire race was that there were a lot of old women running really fast. I just kept thinking that there was no way I was going to let women thirty years my senior finish before me. It worked pretty well. I haven't checked my official time yet but when I looked at the clock after I crossed the finish line it said 26:54. It's not the fastest I've run, but I was really happy. I have slowed down a lot since it has been so cold out and I was really excited to be under 28min. I've got a long way to go as far as my training is concerned. The farthest I've run is 7miles. I was supposed to run 5 today, but that didn't happen, so hopefully I'll pick back up on my regular schedule next week. The race today was what I needed to keep motivated. It's not easy to find the time to go because Michael's been traveling and I've had to depend heavily on the kindness of my neighbor to watch the kiddos for me while I go. It's such a blessing to have nice neighbors, but I always feel so guilty dumping my kids on her all of the time. Anyway, it was fun to see all of the people out there today who run as a part of their lifestyle. I'm really hoping that it will continue that way for me! I don't know what's up with my hair in the picture but I'm a little disappointed that my friends didn't tell me it looked that bad:) I am still trying to convince myself that it's just something in the picture itself and not my actual hair sticking straight up on top of my head.

7 comments:

Ellen said...

Kendra, I am cracking up laughing at your comments about your hair! It looks like a bun to me, no worries! You are hilarious! And you are my new IDOL. Getting up early, running 5K, under 28 minutes (okay it would have taken me all day)... I'd say you are on your way! Keep it goin'! And rely on the kindness of your neighbor, I do it all the time to my parents and Keely! I know the feeling of "dumping your kids..." Part of being a parent? Okay, I should just email you, love you! You are an inspiration!

amy said...

Great job Kendra!! I am so proud of you! I don't know how you do it, super mom! You run laps around me :)

Shauni said...

Good work, runner girl--you're amazing! I'm glad you're keeping up with the running and the half-marathon training--and that you have friends to run with--that makes it so much easier and more fun! Remember when we finished the Rex Lee 5K and we thought we were going to die?! :) This 5K probably felt like a breeze now that you're up to 7 miles!

tara said...

My theory is that if you wake up that early, to drive that far, to run a 5k - it doesn't matter what you or your hair look like. And you look great! Way to go! I think I'd double over if I was to try and run ONE mile.

Greg said...

WOW!!! It took me 25 min to run 2 1/2 miles. You were bookin' it! Who cares what your hair looked like....YOU ROCK!!!

Williams Family said...

Good job on the run!!!! I need you to move by me so you can get me going again!!!!!!!!!!! :) I've been exercizing but some nights I still don't get too much sleep so it has been hard. You are really dedicated and that is a really good quality about you. Congratulations!

nc tate said...

I am so impresses...you rock. I thought it was a bun too, you know you were running (still laughed out loud though).