Thursday, January 17, 2008

Confessions of a bad housekeeper!

I was talking to one of my friends about blogging and I was expressing my concern that I'm putting up this picture perfect life of myself. Most of the posts I do are of everyone smiling and of happy occasions. I think far more often my life is filled with mundane, not so joyful events. Not so much seriously unhappy things, but just normal things. I'm not explaining myself very well, but anyway... I wanted to give some more time to the normal everyday life things. I have had a serious problem with getting my house organized and keeping it picked up. I need some of my OCD friends, especially the ones with the closet issues, to come and stay with me for awhile. My neighbors would probably be more than happy to attest to the fact of my messiness. I've decided maybe we shouldn't have bought a new comfy couch. I didn't seem to sit on my old one quite as much:) Here's to you Andrea for being more brave than me. These pictures are of today while I was trying to unload the dishwasher and load the dirty dishes that wouldn't fit for the first cycle. I was still in my pajamas at 4:00pm when I decided to change and go for a run. Michael was here "working from home" because of his late night last night. I had no excuses for being so lazy and it's far more normal than I care to share. My bedroom is filled with bins of clothes that need to be labeled, reorganized, and loaned out to my family whose children will probably fit in them. The path to the bathroom is getting treacherous. I keep thinking one day I'll get it all organized and the day to day picking up will get easier. We'll see. Wish me luck!

16 comments:

Williams Family said...

David said he would be perfectly happy with his closet like that. Kendra you have a normal looking house!!!! Just because I am OCD does not by any means mean my house is always clean. By the way 4pm in pajamas is very normal for me lately!!!

Ellen said...

I am literally laughing out loud! We should start a new blog group and just post pics of our messy spaces! Good luck organizing, I know you can do it girl! Channel Jenni! I just spent my xmas Victoria's Secret giftcard on MORE lounge wear, as if I need more PJs, but I told my mom, if that is what I wear most days, I need to stock up and hey why not look cute! ... So you aren't alone on that!

aj said...

Kendra, I love this post...makes me feel very "normal"...thanks for keeping it real!! I'm so glad we can catch up with eachother!! How is Atlanta?? Justin was so glad to hear from Michael, he can't say enough about what a great guy he is. By the way, what is your email address so I can keep in touch with you guys...chat soon,
Andrea

Charisse said...

Kendra I looked at your blog last night and I didn't know it had music on it and I was talking to my husband on the phone and I was almost in tears because I thought the music was coming from our CD player that was beside the computer that wasn't on. I totally thought my house was haunted and then i realized it was your blog! I hope you don't mind me looking at your blog! Charisse

amy said...

I am cracking up right now! When I was recording Rylee the other day I saw that her dresser was opened with clothes hanging out, so I had to close them and record again. I don't know if I was being OCD or just worried what people would say if they noticed it! I love that you stayed in your pajamas until 4. Good for you! The first thing I do when I get home is put comfy clothes on. I have worn off on Rylee because she does the same thing. Good luck organizing!

Shauni said...

Glad to see it's not just me! :)

Livingstone Family said...

One of the reasons I love you is because you make me feel normal! I love your house, you brave soul for posting it! All your "stuff" that is familiar to me makes me homesick for you! I wish I could walk over, sit on your couch with you, open a bag of chips and watch 13 Going on 30 and let the kids destroy your house more. Where did the good times go?? Love you lots!

Greg said...

Oh, dear sweet Kendra, I am here for you!
I think you'd be very surprised what you'd find if you came to mine or Teri's house un-announced. Most days it would put your pictures to shame!
Honey you are not alone.

Greg said...

Oh yeah, honey just send the bins on, I'll make sure they all get labelled!

Becca said...

Thanks for being so honest. Although, I am deeply disappointed. All this time, I thought perfect Kendra was a superwoman. I guess all things aren't what they seem.

They call me grandma said...

Oka--so a confession of the grandma--Today is my day off and I have a list a mile long to do and what an I doing?? NONE of it. It is 1:00 and I am still in my pj's. No little ones here to mess up but it sure looks like they have been here. There is a time to clean and a time to read. Enjoy. My good friend Nancy Pyne says that trying to clean house when you have little children is like trying to shovel snow in a blizzard. I love you Kendra, you are perfect just the way you are.

Becca said...

Hi Kendra, thanks for adding me as a link. I already added you and Mike (without your permission) so I hope you don't mind.

Ivan keeps sane from the 60 hour work weeks with his photography. Here is his blog www.imdigitalphoto.com. He takes all our family pictures. He has the talent and patience for snapping shots, but actually it is a process for him. BTW, I am excited about your 1/2 marathon training. They are the best races in terms of distance (not too overwhelming like a marathon, but definitely satisfying)! Good luck!!

mamanicky said...

This is so funny! I've got some confessions of my own. In fact, a couple of hours ago I was digging macaroni and cheese out of my couch cushions. Yummy! This post just makes me smile. Also, I'm usually in my workout clothes for the whole day, and those are just color-coordinated pj's with a little spandex. :)

Theresa said...

Ha! Your blog is so cute.
This made me smile. For me there was something about the third child that made me just not make cleaning a major priority, much to Marc's chagrin :). I will try to get it somewhat containable by the time he gets home from work but if he comes home for lunch, or before I expect him the comment is, "Oh... what happened today?" The answer is either "Life!" or "what didn't happen today?" :) I am so blessed though- Marc does my bathroom cleaning on the weekends!

also known as shell said...

Kendra this was so perfect for me to read after looking at so many blogs and thinking to myself "why am I the only one who is so messed up!" Thanks :) Shellie

Andrea said...

Love it!, but come on, you can be messier than that! Thanks for making us all feel more normal. And for the record, I just stocked up on more pjs because I definitely wear those the most.