Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Lot to be Thankful For!!!

Thanksgiving was such a treat for me this year. My 86 year old grandma cooked the entire Thanksgiving meal. She said my PaPa helped move things around and lift things out of the oven, etc. but she physically did it all. It tasted incredible and I was so happy to be there. It had almost been one year since we were last there. What an amazing woman!!!! I really hope that one day I'll learn to cook like that, and I'm really hoping that it's not something that just comes naturally because then I guess I missed that boat. I'm so thankful for my family and for the legacy of traditions that have been passed down. We even got my Mimi to play Wii with us. There are cows in the farms surrounding my grandparents home and Brody was brave enough to try and feed them. So cute!
We also got to put the Christmas wreath at Caroline's grave this year. We haven't been close enough in year's past to visit it much, but hopefully now that we're closer we'll be able to experience those tender moments together as a family. Side note: Michael and I were shopping the day after Thanksgiving at the mall and I had found a cute Sunday outfit for Ella. Michael looked over and saw the smaller version of the same outfit and said, "Too bad we don't have a little girl for Ella to match with. Oh yeah, we sort of do." Needless to say the tears started coming and I was trying hard to compose myself in the middle of The Children's Place when I walk by a woman and her mother and she says, "I think Caroline will look so cute in this." I AM NOT EVEN KIDDING! I love those situations when I get to prove to myself how strong I am (yeah right). I am, however, very happy on those occasions, to realize that we were blessed with an amazing gift- a sweet baby girl that will always be a part of our family-even if she doesn't get to where cute matching outfits with her sister to church. Most of the time I'm okay with that because I know that we'll get to be associated with her for eternity and that will last a lot longer than any cute outfits I could buy.

6 comments:

Shauni said...

Oh, I'm crying reading what you wrote! You ARE strong--never forget that! You are such a strength and example to everyone who knows you. Your sweet Caroline will always be a part of your family, but I can only imagine how much you must miss her being here with you now. I'm so glad you were able to put a Christmas wreath on her grave.

Holly said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Sorry about the Caroline moment - Maren and Hannah have never liked to match - it is highly overrated! We went to a cemetary over Thanksgiving too - it really gives you an interesting perspective on life, our time here is so brief. Email me with when you are coming in - can't wait to see you!

Janeen said...

I've been thinking about you so much! I'm so sorry moving is such a hassle! I'm glad you had a fun Thanksgiving with family and are closer to getting settled! Your new kitchen is beautiful and we'll pray the house sells SOON! As for your strength...I'm crying at anything remotely holiday-ish or kidd-ish or anything-ish! You can never over-estimate the strength you've acquired through knowing, loving and now living apart from your sweet Caroline. You are an example to all of us and I can't wait to hopefully live down the street soon and get to enjoy your friendship more!

Greg said...

to the strongest and most amazing woman I know.... I LOVE YOU!!!
forever and ever and ever!

Ellen said...

LOVE the picture of your grandmother playing Wii, priceless! What a sweet/sad moment at the mall, I can imagine it must be hard in those moments, as you are not made of steel. You are strong at any rate and the tears make you human. I love your heart dear friend. So glad you are almost done with the move, troopers you are! I know your mom is happy to have you closer! xxoo

They call me grandma said...

Family tradition--It is the glue that holds families together and I appreciate all that you do to help the children understand a little of their fathers home and traditions. Cooking comes from practice, memories and a great desire to be like grandma--That is what drives me at holiday time. I have no greater joy than to fix a familiar meal that grandma used to fix and then have all of my children gathered around grandma's table to eat it. truly on those days my heart is full of joy to be able to share with another generation what I learned from my grandmother and great grandmother--now it is the 6th generation sitting at that table in my dining room--Thank you for knowing that family traditions are important--even if they are a hassle sometimes.