Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Boyd Hoglund Cup
Our stake has an annual 5K/10K run called the Boyd Hoglund Cup. The ward with the most participants wins the cup and this year our ward, the Alpharetta Ward, lost by one person. We felt so bad because the definition of participant is anyone who shows up and we didn't register Brody:( Anyway, I ran the 5K and won with a time of 23:50! I was so very, very excited when I realized what had happened. There is this awesome runner in our ward and she is 10+ years my senior. I didn't know how fast she was until we ran the 1/2 marathon in Nashville and she came in around 10 minutes faster than me, which is a pretty big deal in the running world. Anyway, my goal throughout the race was at least to just keep her in my eyesight. My time when I started training was about a 9 minute mile and I haven't really seen much improvement in speed, I've just been able to maintain that over more miles. Even when I was running on my own I couldn't understand how I could maintain or even speed up over the course of 6+ miles, but not go any faster on the short runs. I really wanted to see some improvement after 4 months of training, so I was determined to just stay close to the lady in my ward. I lost her about halfway through the race and just kept speeding up trying to find her. We were running on a trail that had a few curves, so I just kept thinking she was going to be just beyond the next turn. To make a long story even longer, she was running the 10K and had kept running straight when the 5K route turned around!!! My neighbor was running too and she could not understand what had gotten into me and when I told her I was trying to stay up with the lady in our ward she then told me that she was running the 10K. I could not stop laughing!!!! I guess all I needed was the right carrot...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Holy cow that is a fast time! Good job! I am laughing just picturing you running so fast to catch your 10K friend, and not even realizing that you had won the 5K by doing so! :) It's so great that you've been able to improve your time so much. I love Ella in braids, and you look fabulous in the picture with your Mom and sister!
You are too funny! Your competitive side came out and look what you did!! Congratulations on your win!
WOW, you are speedy! Sounds like you've been busy. When does school get out?
I am very impressed with you. that time is awesome. You know what would be my carrot. some donuts and some diet cokes!
i'm still laughing as I picture that race in my head. I can see you saying to yourself, "WHERE'D SHE GO???" How funny. You are so amazing. I promised I would go run with you but if you keep getting better than I am going to have to take back that offer cause I won't be able to keep up with you
CONGRATULATIONS! I can't believe you won a 5K...well, I can, but man do I feel like a total slacker now! You are one of the few ladies I know who is as unassumingly competitive as I am. I LOVE IT! Good for you!
Words like driven and determined describe you to a tee--You are truly amazing. Dedicated and consistent are also two words that describe you. Everything you do you always do your best at. We are proud of you.
Love, Dad and Mom
I'm watching Pride and Prejudice for the millionth time right now on the Oxygen channel and I'm thinking of you!!! Wish you were here to enjoy it with me... I remember when you were going to the theater for the 2nd time to see it when I hadn't seen it yet. Hey, time for you to update the blog you busy mama!! Love and miss you!!!
Post a Comment