What's Our Job?
When asked, "What's our job as a great parent or great teacher?" most people say something like, "To raise or help create really respectful and responsible kids." Our good friend and co-founder of Love and Logic, Foster W. Cline, M.D., disagrees. Dr. Cline argues:
It's not our job to raise responsible kids. Our job is to consistently do the things that give kids an opportunity to become responsible.
When we spend all of our time and energy trying to make our kids respectful and responsible, we open ourselves up to major power-struggles. It's as if we send an unstated message such as, "All of my self-worth and happiness is tied up in how well you behave." This is far too much power for any child to have. Too often, strong-willed children use this power to punish their parents.
In contrast, when we focus on doing the right things and giving our kids a great opportunity, we place appropriate responsibility on them and they have no battle to fight. The unstated message is much different: "While I want very much for you to have a happy and responsible life, I can't make that happen for you. You are the one who has to do most of the work."
Take care of yourself by remembering that the only thing you really have complete control over is yourself.
I've been trying not to take the actions of my children personally. If this had happened before I would have been beating myself up over the fact that MY CHILD did that. How on earth could she have ever done something like that. I must be the worst parent in the world if, etc., etc. I love the view that it is good when a child makes a mistake because I then have the opportunity to set the stage for learning and not criticizing, or yelling, or telling her what a bad girl she is. Instead I get to empathize and let her know that I'm really sad for her that she made those choices, but that I love her no matter what. It has made a huge difference in our family when the consequence comes after the empathy and love.
By the way, her teacher just kind of blew the whole thing off like it was no big deal. I thought that was nice of her, but I'm still quite sure that my Ella was not as innocent as her teacher was thinking she was. One of her consequences was that yesterday Dallin got to go and play at a friends house (they had both been invited to go and play and had been anticipating it since Monday) and she had to stay with me to take Brody to the doctor. She was really sad (lots of crying) but I told her that I'd love to do things for her when I felt like I could trust her again, and that is going to take time...
14 comments:
okay how do I sign up? for real?
Kendra, You're an awesome mom! Thanks for sharing that quote - and the story about Ella...I just signed up for the weekly newsletter. :)
You are amazing! I am going to be calling you in a year or so. Theft ring! Funny, but not so funny! Goodess! Ah, you are such a good mom with how you handled it all!
How do you get the weekly emails? I would love to get them. I'm sure most kids at some time test the boundaries of taking something they really want but are now allowed. You handled that so well. They last few days my kids have been playing with their cousins and I've noticed Jacob keeps coming home with new toys in his pockets. He claims he forgot but I'm not so sure. I had to have a talk about how that is considered stealing and he had to bring the toys back and apologize. I'm not sure at the time he really understood that he was "stealing" but now he does. You're doing a great job Kendra. Your kids are lucky to have you.
Thanks for sharing! You are awesome!
I love you so much!! You are my "Mommy" role model!
Okay Kendra- your post got me looking at Amazon.com for a love and logic book.....:)
I need a recommendation, if you have one, because there are about 10 books. Love the story. Kindergarteners are pretty darn smart:)
I know this is lame on a blog, maybe I should send you an e-mail. You were on my mind all day yesterday but I didn't want to bug. I meant to send a card all week last week, obviously I didn't get around to it. How much I would've given anything to be with you and carried on the emotional eating tradition. You are one of the greatest people and Mother's I know and I love you and indescribable amount. I hope your days are getting happier, I wish I could spend mine with you.
Their website is www.loveandlogic.com where there are lots of resources to choose from, books, CD's, etc. Those are not free, but invaluable:) You can also sign up for their weekly email when you register with the site. The books I like most are: "Parenting with love and logic-Teaching children responsibility" and "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood." The first gives a great overview of why the concept works and what the reasoning is behind it and then goes into specifics in the later chapters. The Magic for Early Childhood has tons and tons of specific examples and methods for taming and loving little ones. I personally think everything is great. I'm sad that my class ended last night because hearing it over and over again is how I get things to stick!
I signed up for the emails! Will you leave your email address in the comment section on my blog? I am going private and want you to still be able to look at it.
It was fun to chat with you on the phone! As soon as I got off and Abby found out who I was talking to, she was mad that she couldn't talk to Ella. :) And good job with your love and logic stuff--I heard it in action while we were talking. You sound like you have much more patience than I do!
Kendra,
Hopefully someday I will have a reason to follow your Love and Logic. You may be my younger sister, but I look up to you in many ways! But, enough of that...Where are updated pictures?! I'm thinking that Easter would've been a good chance to get some...(haha)! Hope all is well, and I'll talk to you soon. May is coming up...
Love and Miss You!
Michelle
So after spending quite a bit of time in the orphanage in Juarez with these AMAZING orphans who all are genuinely kind and loving, I've spent a LOT of time pondering just how we are ruining all of our children here in the US...a lot of it comes down to expectations and control...plus, I've decided when you can find happiness in dirt and shacks, you realize it's people and not things that make you happy =)
I should have read your blog when I found out Rylee stole 3 rings from her aunt. Let's just say I wasn't very logical :)
Post a Comment